Cushing Island is located less than a mile offshore of Portland and is accessible only by boat. Part of the city of Portland, there are approximately 45 families who live there seasonally. Frederick Law Olmsted, Sr. designed the 266-acre island as a summer colony in 1882-3.
In 1898 the United States Army built Fort Levett on 140 acres of the island. After it was decommissioned following World War II, island residents bought the fort and converted several brick military buildings to residences. The island remains privately owned, accessible only to members and guests.